[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0016 - Adding initializers to Int and UInt to convert from UnsafePointer and UnsafeMutablePointer

Joseph Lord joseph at human-friendly.com
Tue Mar 22 22:24:08 CDT 2016

> On Mar 22, 2016, at 9:35 PM, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Hello Swift community,
>
> The review of "Adding initializers to Int and UInt to convert from UnsafePointer and UnsafeMutablePointer" begins now and runs through March 25th. The proposal is available here:
>
>    https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0016-initializers-for-converting-unsafe-pointers-to-ints.md

I give the concept a +1. Swift should support dangerous actions but should make them clear and obvious. I do think that there is room to improve the argument label. There are two issues with "bitPattern" that concern me:
1) it should be clear that it will be the bitPattern of the pointer itself not whatever the pointer refers to.
2) it doesn't indicate the danger of using the results of this

I don't have a great alternative to bitPattern but maybe something like: "rawMemoryAddress"

I've read the proposal and given it a little bit of thought but have not yet read preceding or recent comments.

Joseph