[swift-evolution] A (better) Swift Equivalent For The Classical For-Loop With Numeric Scalars

ted van gaalen tedvgiosdev at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 11:05:26 CDT 2016

Hello Taras
Please take a look here:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/For_loop

More than 30  !  programming languages since 1957 until now, have their implementation of the for-loop. If it was or is an inferior construct, it would have disappeared long ago. That alone proves that it is not inferior, but indeed very useful.

There is imho no longer any need to compare the for... variants any longer (but of course feel free to do so), because they both serve different purposes very well. Neither one or the other is inferior! I would protest with equal energy also when the for...in... was removed, because this would make iterating with collections cumbersome, e.g. I am now very happy that I can now iterate through an array, without specifying start, length and where we are..

Concerning my intended proposal for a good alternative for the classicsl for-loop, I am currently in favor of very much something like this version, as it is implemented in Maple:
  -----------start copy from wkpd page-----------------------------------
> Maple has two forms of for-loop, one for iterating of a range of values, and the other for iterating over the contents of a container. The value range form is as follows:
>
> for i from f by b to t while w do # loop body od;
> All parts except do and od are optional. The for i part, if present, must come first. The remaining parts (from f, by b, to t, while w) can appear in any order.
>
> Iterating over a container is done using this form of loop:
>
> for e in c while w do # loop body od;
> The in c clause specifies the container, which may be a list, set, sum, product, unevaluated function, array, or an object implementing an iterator.
>
> A for-loop may be terminated by od, end, or end do.

------------------------------end copy-------------------------------------------

( in the above example replace "do" and "od" by { } )
Maple has two forms of for-loop, one for iterating of a range of values,
and the other for iterating over the contents of a container.
In Maple, which by the way is a very advanced programming language for mathematicians ( i am not), both variants are available and co-exist independently, which is exactly my point!  So again, it is not replacing or even changing the for-in as it is now available in Swift, both versions should be available. (This would still be the case if the for ;; had not been removed in the first place)
To get back to the Maple for-loop implementation, in Swift I'd drop the "while" extension.
To summarize:

I would like to see in Swift:

     for v from v1 to v2 by v3  {...}

for numerical values Int, Double, Float...
The "by" clause would be optional: when omitted, it should
default to 1 for integers and 1.0 for floating point values.

The loop variable ("v" here) cannot be altered in the loop.
The loop can exited with the "break" statement.
Use "continue" to directly go to the next iteration( if any)
("break" and "continue" functional as it is now)

Examples:
     for v from 0.5 to 30.0 by 0.3
     for v from 0 to 100 by 5
     for v from 12.0 to -10.0 by -2

Imho, this is super clean and very readable, Why would anyone have objections against it? Also the compiler can optimize this construct very easely.
Yes, the classical for ;; had more options, but are they still needed?

Note that we also have discussed the floating point number tolerance problem previously.
the for ... from ... to ... by ... could therefore for floating point numbers perhaps be enhanced like so:

     for v from 0.0 to 10.0 by 0.1 tolerance 0.01     // tolerance optional clause

so that it reaches the end value 10.0 in this case

(I am not in favor to automatically set tolerance based upon magnitude)

To summarize:

1. the existing for ... in ...  which is nearly perfect for collections can remain as is. No conflicts here. There is no need to drop one for the other, they are completely independent.

2. The new for ... from ... to ... by ... is simple,straightforward and easy to implement.

You've mentioned this:
> for (i,j,k) in matrix.indices {...}

but here we are working with collection (descendants), are we?

I'd kindly recommend us all to travel much to other programming worlds, because there are so many (often forgotten) very interesting aspects and ideas that can be very useful to implement in new languages.

Kind Regards
TedvG