[swift-evolution] A (better) Swift Equivalent For The Classical For-Loop With Numeric Scalars

Gavin Eadie gavin at umich.edu
Sat Mar 19 17:10:46 CDT 2016

Does this debate not arise from a common duality of purpose of the "for
(;;)" construct?
[in passing, and to acknowledge its longevity, I'll note I first saw this
"FOR .." years ago when learning FORTRAN]

--> Iterating Through the Members of a Collection .. Erica's proposal hits
this first usage nicely because, typically, the 'index' value is irrelevant
so why force its existence?  I think everyone is happy that the old
construct is exorcised for this case.

--> Generating Values of a Variable Local to the Loop .. or the
"scientific, engineering, statistical, technical" use that Ted refers to.
In this case the "for (;;)" loop's purpose *is* the generation of the
'index' value, and the old construct does this more nicely than the new
[though I'll moderate my enthusiasm in a moment].

When you consider the total power of the "for (;;)" usage, several awesome,
and ghastly, things emerge.  You'll think of more, but I think of using a
non-integer index; I think of compound statements before, after and between
the semi-colons; I think of the central conditional and the number of times
that I have fallen prey to an off-by-one error; I think of the final
'iteration' as being an arbitrary computation.

A simple example might be:   for (altitude = 0.1; altitude < 10e6; altitude
=* 10.0) { . . . }

The two purposes I'm drawing out are not mutually exclusive, of course.
They're more like the ends of continuum of purposes, and each end can be
implemented (torturously?) by the others end's syntax.  We've focused
attention on one end in SE-0007; now we need to do the same for the other
end.  I look forward to Ted's suggestion for an elegant expression of
the "scientific,
engineering, statistical, technical" usage.

Finally, I'll note that when SE-0007 was being considered, I asked how I
might do the second case (I needed to span Doubles from X to Y in jumps of
Z.  The best answer (of several), at that time, was:

    extension ClosedInterval where Bound: Strideable {

        func by(n: Bound.Stride) -> StrideThrough<Bound> {

            return start.stride(through: end, by: n)

and

    for angle in (X...Y).by(Z) { . . }

We can do better.