[swift-evolution] A (better) Swift Equivalent For The Classical For-Loop With Numeric Scalars

Ross O'Brien narrativium+swift at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 13:31:12 CDT 2016

But the discussion is no longer about 'do we really need to take this
feature out?'. The feature is already out. It's deprecated in Swift 2.2.
The discussion is 'is there a compelling reason to put it back in again?'.

We still have for-in loops. We still have repeat while. We still have
forEach. Iteration isn't going anywhere; it just doesn't have this peculiar
semi-colon structure any more. It's a confusing structure for beginning
programmers to learn in the first place, and Swift doesn't use semi-colons
so much.