[swift-evolution] [Draft] Abolish IUO type

James Campbell james at supmenow.com
Fri Mar 18 06:20:32 CDT 2016

One thing I've had bit me is the lack of some sort of confirmation, see
this example.

I have a objective-c method in a library like so:

- (void)observe:(CallbackBlock)block;

The CallbackBlock is a type def-ed block like so:

typedef void (^CallbackBlock)(FDataSnapshot *snapshot);

The parameter in the block gets converted into a IUO, I ended up releasing
an app that crashed due to that IUO being nil.

The code that crashed was something like this

object.observe {
$0.doSomething()
}

There is no way to tell that the $0 was a IUO. The compiler didn't force me
to confirm in it in some way using a ! and unless I remembered to check the
header I would have a crash.

How would this work under your proposal ?

*James⎥Head Of CEO*

*james at supmenow.com <james at supmenow.com>⎥supmenow.com <http://supmenow.com>*

*Sup*

*Runway East *