[swift-evolution] Making pointer nullability explicit (using Optional)

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Thu Mar 17 23:32:38 CDT 2016

On Mar 17, 2016, at 8:21 PM, Félix Cloutier via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

>> Fortunately, when a type has a single invalid value for which no operations are valid, Swift already has a solution: Optionals.
>
> To me, this makes it sound like dereferencing an unsafe pointer is unsafe only if the pointer is nil. (Nil does have the merit that it's generally one of the only addresses known to be invalid, though.)
>
> One thing that I would worry about, though, is the case where dereferencing address 0 is legal. My understanding is that Swift is aimed to be a systems language, and this case is relatively frequent on embedded devices.

This is definitely an important case to consider, but I don't think this is a problem for the proposal.

C compilers for these sorts of embedded systems have two choices: they can either reserve 1 byte for the null value (wasting a byte of physmem) or they can use a null value with a representation that is not equal to zero.

In either case, the null value (whatever it is) maps to the swift none case.  Everything works out properly.

-Chris