[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0047 Defaulting non-Void functions so they warn on unused results

Adrian Kashivskyy adrian.kashivskyy at me.com
Thu Mar 17 01:46:26 CDT 2016

@Patrick,

> I rarely use the result value of removeLast() and I don't see how requiring it here adds any safety. It is obvious this call has side-effects and doesn't just return the last element.

Actually, removeLast() and other pop()-like functions are examples of functions that will most probably be marked with @discartableResult attribute.

————————————————————

@Brent,

That was the first idea, but it has been changed to function declaration attribute, per core team design discussion <https://lists.swift.org/pipermail/swift-evolution/Week-of-Mon-20160314/012823.html>.

> I also don't like that this proposal doesn't include an "Impact on existing code" section. We ought to decide whether the migrator will add `@discardableResult` to existing symbols or not.

I totally agree with Erica – the migrator should only remove existing @warn_unused_result attributes. @discardableResult should be added manually and deliberately to functions in stdlib and your own code. We'll be happy to clarify this behavior under "Impact on existing code" section.

@Jed,

> That said, the problem isn’t necessarily difficult to solve — it’s just that it’s important that it actually be solved at the same time the feature is rolled out.

I cannot speak for Apple, but judging from last Swift releases where SDKs were always up-to-date with latest Swift changes, I believe this change will be reflected as well.

The only place that inconsistencies may appear, are third-party libraries, but this has always been the case with all language changes.

Regards,
Adrian Kashivskyy