[swift-evolution] SE-0047

Michael Mayer m.mayer6 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 17 00:41:19 CDT 2016

https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0047-nonvoid-warn.md <https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0047-nonvoid-warn.md>

I really like the way Swift currently works in this regard.  Return values can be and are routinely ignored and that is ok and what most people are used to.  Except when it isn’t okay, and that’s when we add a warning/annotation. Perfect!

It is far more common to be able to ignore a return value than to have it be required to be handled.  To flip when we add the annotation, will require far more effort and will clutter our code.  Why do I want annotations to tell me that I can ignore something.  I want it there when I need to be warned.  You wave a red flag when there is something to be concerned about, not when the results are inconsequential.

I strongly urge for the disapproval of this proposal.

Regards, Michael

Michael M. Mayer
Hanover, MD
m.mayer6 at gmail.com