[swift-evolution] [Draft] Abolish IUO type

Chris Willmore cwillmore at apple.com
Wed Mar 16 23:01:16 CDT 2016

Not quite. It means “let x: Int!” is now “@implicitly_unwrapped let x: Int?” (supposing one could spell the attribute out like that). That is, the IUO attribute is attached to the declaration of the variable instead of its type.

> It's particularly important in this case because `!` implies `?`; there's a lot of magic going on here. Without a completely unambiguous way to write about this behavior, it's hard to talk about it precisely.
>
> For instance, I have two questions for the proposal's author:
>
> * Would the declaration `Int?!` mean  `@implicitly_unwrapped Optional<Int>` or `@implicitly_unwrapped Optional<Optional<Int>>`?

The latter, modulo the correction above.

> * You say that things like `[Int!]` and `(Int!, Int!)` (`Array<@implicitly_unwrapped Optional<Int>>` and `(@implicitly_unwrapped Optional<Int>, @implicitly_unwrapped Optional<Int>)`) are illegal; are `Int!?` and `Int!!` (`Optional<@implicitly_unwrapped Optional<Int>>` and `@implicitly_unwrapped Optional<@implicitly_unwrapped Optional<Int>>`) illegal as well? (Actually, having written this out explicitly, I'm now fairly confident of the answer: yes, they are illegal.)

Correct; they’re illegal because the “!” token doesn’t appear at the outermost level and therefore there’s no decl to attach the IUO attribute to.
— Chris W.