[swift-evolution] [Draft] Abolish IUO type

Mark Anders mark at markanders.net
Wed Mar 16 19:27:08 CDT 2016

It seems reasonable.  If I understand it correctly, I would still be able to write code like this:

    @IBOutlet weak var emailTextField: UITextField!

I don’t have any issues with the limitations as proposed.

Btw, I included the above line because with all of the examples you used, IMO, it can be easy to question how important IUO are.  I’ve never needed [Int!], for example or relied on the compiler inferring that something is implicitly unwrapped.

However I have a ton of code like the line above, and  it would be a drag if these all became optionals.  I wouldn’t want to have to if let or guard let for every property in every function where they are used.

In general where I find myself using them the most is in situations where the initialization patterns don’t apply.  Another example is in unit tests where you want to tear down and rebuild but not necessarily re-construct.  These might fall in to the category of where you might “introduce more specific language features to take their place”, but since there’s no mention of what those might be, it’s hard to know what one is getting to replace what one’s giving up.

Finally, I really don’t like @implicitly_unwrapped.

    @IBOutlet @implicitly_unwrapped weak var emailTextField: UITextField?
    @IBOutlet @implicitly_unwrapped weak var passwordTextField: UITextField?
    @IBOutlet @implicitly_unwrapped weak var loginButton: UIButton?

Making things really ugly isn’t going to discourage me from using them in situations like this and I think it makes me more aware of the danger involved.  It just makes it harder to read, IMO.

Mark