[swift-evolution] Making `.self` After `Type` Optional

Charles Constant charles at charlesism.com
Tue Mar 15 00:54:50 CDT 2016

+1 for junking the .self requirement

On Wed, Mar 9, 2016 at 11:14 PM, David Hart via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> I strongly agree for the removal of .self. I remember it being a great
> source of confusion when I first learned Swift.

I had the same experience. It was very disorienting.

Now that Dave and Joe have explained its origin as a safety feature, it
makes sense. The problem is that there's no way to convey that to the
end-user, so it seems like it has some deeper meaning. Then you start
second-guessing yourself if there's an error in your code, etc.

Nice to see that this might be fixed. Evolution is making me happier and
happier lately :)