[swift-evolution] Add an ifPresent function to Optional

Dmitri Gribenko gribozavr at gmail.com
Mon Mar 14 17:39:34 CDT 2016

On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 3:37 PM, Erica Sadun <erica at ericasadun.com> wrote:
> On Mar 14, 2016, at 4:33 PM, Dmitri Gribenko <gribozavr at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I don't quite see what advantage would that have. Could you elaborate?
>>
>> I think that's exactly Daniel's point, that it would be absurd to do so.
>>
>> Dmitri
>
> Would you support removing map and flapMap from optionals then?

No.  My argument is that map on collections and on optionals are two
completely different things.  They unify on a level that does not
exist in Swift (higher-kinded types).  We could name Optional.map()
differently, and that would be a separate decision from renaming
Collection.map(), but we used the name `map` primarily because of
precedent, not because there is a HKT notion of these two operations
being the same.

Dmitri