[swift-evolution] [META] Re-invigorating the compiler directive discussion

Erica Sadun erica at ericasadun.com
Mon Mar 14 16:23:36 CDT 2016

> On Mar 14, 2016, at 3:12 PM, Dmitri Gribenko <gribozavr at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2016 at 1:41 PM, Erica Sadun <erica at ericasadun.com> wrote:
>>
>>> On Mar 14, 2016, at 1:55 PM, Dmitri Gribenko <gribozavr at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> There's a direction that we want to move to a unified name for the
>>> libc module for all platform, so "can import Darwin" might not be a
>>> viable long-term strategy.
>>

>> Dmitri:
>>
>> Will this do it? https://gist.github.com/erica/103b5cd17bde4171ae0b
>
> Sounds like a good direction, but to validate it, could you think of
> some things you would write in practice that would be guarded by these
> #if conditions?
>
> Dmitri

Quite frankly, I want to test imports not platforms.  Things I care personally about:

* testing imports for differentiating code for tvOS/iOS vs OS X primarily: https://gist.github.com/erica/b7f4226b8201945602f2
* testing sim/device for camera/keychain: https://gist.github.com/erica/6c3892fe603659b6e5ab
* testing debug (yes, in methods is just peachy fine for me) for better logging mostly: https://gist.github.com/erica/d20639b409fe1b318c0e

Things I'm doing as a courtesy for the community that I probably will never use:

* testing platform conditions: https://gist.github.com/erica/5a344b12bd989f6395c2
* testing for specific platform deployment:  https://gist.github.com/erica/103b5cd17bde4171ae0b

-- E, who is still ready and willing to toss the last (platform(Apple)) of these if there's no good use-case motivating it.