[swift-evolution] [Proposal] Add an API to Unmanaged to get the instance it holds "@guaranteed"

Arnold Schwaighofer aschwaighofer at apple.com
Mon Mar 14 10:00:17 CDT 2016

Hi,

I would like to propose adding an additional method to the standard library’s ‘Unmanaged’ wrapper to mark values as having a guaranteed lifetime by another reference to it.

Currently, there is no way to opt out of ARC even if we know the lifetime of a value is guaranteed by another reference to it. We can pass around values in the wrapper without incurring reference counting but as soon as we take the instance out of the wrapper we will incur reference counting.

func doSomething(u: Unmanaged<Owned>) {
    // Incurs refcount increment before the call and decrement after for self.
    u.takeUnretainedValue().doSomeWork()

The addition of this API will allow selectively disabling ARC for the scope of the lifetime of the value returned by this API call.

  func doSomething(u: Unmanaged<Owned>) {
    // Incurs refcount increment before the call and decrement after for self
    // that can be removed by the compiler based on the assertion made.
    u.takeGuaranteedValue().doSomeWork()

Add an API to Unmanaged to get the instance it holds "@guaranteed"

Proposal: SE-0000 Add an API to Unmanaged to get the instance it holds guaranteed <https://github.com/aschwaighofer/swift-evolution/blob/unmanaged_unsafe_guaranteed_proposal/proposals/0000-unsafe-guaranteed.md>
Author(s): Arnold Schwaighofer <https://github.com/aschwaighofer>
Review manager: TBD
 <https://github.com/aschwaighofer/swift-evolution/blob/unmanaged_unsafe_guaranteed_proposal/proposals/0000-unsafe-guaranteed.md#introduction>Introduction

The standard library Unmanged<Instance> struct provides an instance wrapper that does not participate in ARC; it allows the user to make manual retain/release calls and get at the contained instance at balanced/unbalanced retain counts.

This proposal suggests to add another method to Unmanaged that will allow making an assertion about the guaranteed lifetime of the instance returned.

This assertion will help the compiler remove ARC operations.

public struct Unmanaged<Instance : AnyObject> {

  // Get the value of the unmanaged referenced as a managed reference without
  // consuming an unbalanced retain of it. Asserts that some other owner
  // guarantees the lifetime of the value for the lifetime of the return managed
  // reference. You are responsible for making sure that this assertion holds
  // true.
  //
  // NOTE:
  // Be aware that storing the returned managed reference in an L-Value extends
  // the lifetime this assertion must hold true for by the lifetime of the
  // L-Value.
  //   var owningReference = Instance()
  //   var lValue : Instance
  //   withFixedLifetime(owningReference) {
  //     lValue = Unmanaged.passUnretained(owningReference).takeGuaranteedValue()
  //   }
  //   lValue.doSomething() // Bug: owningReference lifetime has ended earlier.

  public func takeGuaranteedValue() -> Instance {
    let result = _value
    return Builtin.unsafeGuaranteed(result)
  }
Prototype: link to a prototype implementation <https://github.com/aschwaighofer/swift/tree/unsafe_guaranteed_prototype>
 <https://github.com/aschwaighofer/swift-evolution/blob/unmanaged_unsafe_guaranteed_proposal/proposals/0000-unsafe-guaranteed.md#motivation>Motivation

A user can often make assertions that an instance is kept alive by another reference to it for the duration of some scope.

Consider the following example:

class Owned {
  func doSomeWork() {}
}

public class Owner {
  var ref: Owned

  init() { ref = Owned() }

  public func doWork() {
    doSomething(ref)
  }

  func doSomething(o: Owned) {
     o.doSomeWork()
In this context the lifetime of Owner always exceeds o: Ownee. However, there is currently no way to tell the compiler about such an assertion. We can pass reference counted values in an Unmanged container without incurring reference count changes.

public class Owner {

  public func doWork() {
    // No reference count for passing the parameter.
    doSomething(Unmanaged.passUnretained(ref))
  }

  func doSomething(u: Unmanaged<Owned>) {
    // ...
We can get at the contained instance by means of takeUnretainedValue() which will return a balanced retained value: the value is returned at +1 for release by the caller. However, when it comes to accessing the contained instance we incur reference counting.

  func doSomething(u: Unmanaged<Owned>) {
    // Incurs refcount increment before the call and decrement after for self.
    u.takeUnretainedValue().doSomeWork()
  }
With the proposed API call the user could make the assertion that u's contained instance's lifetime is guaranteed by another reference to it.

  func doSomething(u: Unmanaged<Owned>) {
    // Incurs refcount increment before the call and decrement after for self
    // that can be removed by the compiler based on the assertion made.
    u.takeGuaranteedValue().doSomeWork()
  }
The compiler can easily remove the reference counts marked by this method call with local reasoning.

 <https://github.com/aschwaighofer/swift-evolution/blob/unmanaged_unsafe_guaranteed_proposal/proposals/0000-unsafe-guaranteed.md#impact-on-existing-code>Impact on existing code

This is a new API that does not replace an existing method. No existing code should be affected.

 <https://github.com/aschwaighofer/swift-evolution/blob/unmanaged_unsafe_guaranteed_proposal/proposals/0000-unsafe-guaranteed.md#alternatives-considered>Alternatives considered

A somewhat related proposal would be to allow for class types to completely opt out of ARC forcing the programmer to perform manual reference counting. The scope of such a proposal would be much bigger making it questionable for Swift 3 inclusion. I believe that the two approaches are complementary and don't completely supplant each other. This proposal's approach allows for selectively opting out of ARC while providing a high notational burdon when wide spread over the application (wrapping and unwrapping of Unmanaged). Opting completely out of ARC is an all-in solution, which on the other hand does not have the high notational burden.