[swift-evolution] Changing the curried static methods

Brandon Williams mbw234 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 13 17:26:46 CDT 2016

No problem Erica, I find this to be pretty subtle!

That's definitely how static versions of instance methods work today, and
it does it's job pretty well! My suggestion to flip the arguments is a bid
to increase the readability and re-usability of these methods without
changing any of the real semantics.

Here's how we can do it manually in order to see the benefits. The
following function:

func flip <A, B, C> (f: A -> B -> C) -> B -> A -> C {
  return { b in { a in f(a)(b) } }
}

simply converts `A -> B -> C` to `B -> A -> C`, i.e. flips its arguments.
Let's use it make a version of `UIView.removeFromSuperview` that I think is
more understandable:

extension UIView {
  @nonobjc static let _removeFromSuperview =
flip(UIView.removeFromSuperview)
}

(ignore that @nonobjc, it's only necessary cause Swift is trying to
generate a dynamic accessor)

With this method your code example becomes

v.subviews.forEach(UIView._removeFromSuperview())

To me this reads: for each subview of `v`, apply the action
`UIView._removeFromSuperview()`. Compare this to the equivalent with
today's static method:

v.subviews.map(UIView.removeFromSuperview).forEach{ $0() }

This is read as: map the subviews of `v` into an array of actions, and then
invoke those actions.

The benefits of this flip are easier to see with different examples,
because I agree with Stephen that it's hard to beat a simple
`v.subviews.forEach { $0.removeSuperView() }` in this particular example.

If static methods had their arguments flipped, we'd be able to easily
construct functions like `CGRect.insetBy(10.0, 10.0)` and
`CGRect.offsetBy(-20.0, 10.0)`. These are now free functions without any
mention to a specific rectangle. We could compose them to get a function
that simulataneously insets and translates, all without mentioning a
rectangle. With today's static methods we'd have to apply `flip` to each
one, i.e. `flip(CGRect.insetBy)(10.0, 10.0)`.

This becomes very powerful with constructing data pipelines that describe
how to transform data without ever actually mentioning the data. There are
quite a few examples of things like this in Cocoa. A nice one is Core
Image, in which you can build a pipeline of filters that you can feed
images into.