[swift-evolution] Make the first parameter in a function declaration follow the same rules as the others

Ted F.A. van Gaalen tedvgiosdev at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 13:18:58 CST 2016

( didn’t know it was on its way, so much to read here, missing things at times:

n.b. I’ve just read proposal SE-0046,
"Establish consistent label behavior across all parameters including first labels”
Imho it’s an improvement, but it still does not give the consistency/simplicity I would like to see)

To Jake and Erica:
      Just in case you'd think this is a better idea, feel free to adjust your proposal with it. thank you.

  ------------

Thank you Haravikk,
but I’d prefer to have a label obligatory on the first parm as well, for consistency,
simplicity and readability.
Also for clarity:
     A parameter name should not be part of a function name.

As in your second example:

> 	func insert( element:      Element   ) { … }
> 	func insert( contentsOf: Sequence) { … }

Always specifying  labels/names allows us also to have a simpler function syntax as well like so:

         func insert( element: Book inBooklist: Books reorder: true  dropOldVersions: true)       // no comma separators

or formatted like this for clarity :

         func insert(      element:  Book
                              reorderBy:   .authorName
                   dropOldVersions:   true                      )  ->  Bool
         { … }

coincidentally, notice this is like in ObjC..  (which i liked)

It also makes the logic with omitted default parameter simpler.
and would allow an arbitrary parameter sequence in the call, if needed.

(i've appended this possibility later)

I prefer overloading functions in this kind of cases instead of:

   insertBook(...
   insertBooks(...
   insertBooksFromArray(...

but maybe that’s just my personal taste.

At the moment I can’t find conflicts with any other language construct,
also for a new parameter list format without commas,
does anyone?

TedvG