[swift-evolution] Source Formatting

Ted F.A. van Gaalen tedvgiosdev at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 11:34:31 CST 2016

Hi Paul, thanks for you nuanced reply, giving a better view on the matter.
I do agree on most points.
> On 12.03.2016, at 08:26, Paul Ossenbruggen <possen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am not suggesting that everything be specified, but code is read more often that written. Not allowing a mixture of styles in the same file or line, like if you put spaces after commas it should enforce that for the rest of the parameters in the function.

> Make it easier to follow good practices than not. So the IDE could help out by noticing that the first parameter had a space, similar to how it automatically inserts a matching brace when or reinvents when you end a line, and automatically add a space.
Yes.

> I see a lot of really awful looking code out there in other languages.
not much has changed.. would you like to see my first Fortran sources from 1979? Spaghetti,
was a rookie back then :o)
I think btw that this is also because software developers are often
on too tight deadlines, writing under stress
then as we all know formatting/styling/commenting is unfortunately neglected

> I would like to see some basic formatting enforced as it does around the x == y case and spaces before braces, but nobody is ever going to agree whether braces go at end or beginning of the line, but it could be enforced by keeping it consistent within a file.
One can specify these spacing option in the IDE, again I don’t think this should be done by the Swift compiler

> If people could look at a swift files and it always looked pretty good, they may be more interested in learning more about the language.

Of course! But is also looks much more readable due to the clear nature of Swift.

When I look and C++ sources, they look often horrible, I have tried to avoid C, C++
and also Javascript as much as possible during my life.

> If that is not possible, perhaps it should be a set of coding style guidelines that like the function naming document is best practice but not required.
I think coding style etc, should be defined by the company/project one is assigned to.
(e.g. by defining the proper program templates/standards, also for the IDE fornatting.
And also e.g. if you deliver source code to the Swift open source a uniform approach is of course desirable.

> The point about everybody is different and should do whatever makes them happy, I am not sure i agree with though.
E.g. I build my apps alone, so no one else is involved, so working the way I want doesn’t affect others.
Here, I don’t even use a version system like Git, too much overhead, just backing up each day.
In this situation I prefer tools that do not restrict me.

> We have standards for writing English which most people adhere to. There are debates about two spaces after a period, but most people are ok so long as it is consistent. Spanish has slightly different standards. It makes easier for everyone to read than if everyone does their own thing.
But these standards are luckily not enforced.
If it was so strict then I my German writing would
often be rejected because of grammar etc.
being a Dutchman here in Germany :o)

TedvG