[swift-evolution] Make distinction between ?? -> T and ?? -> T?

Sébastien Blondiau sebastien.blondiau at me.com
Sat Mar 12 02:57:59 CST 2016

Thank's for your feedbacks.

I have to agree with you that ! is associated with assertion, an other name is indeed required (maybe ?. or anything else).

In opposition to what Patrick said, the interest of the new operator was avoid the confusion which exists between the two functions of ?? (one which returns an optional, the other which returns a non optional). This confusion has been proofed during the review of the proposal about the ??= operator.

I understand that this proposal only offers some human readability and does not prevent from errors which are not caught by the compiler, so is not really important.