[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0046 Establish consistent label behavior across all parameters including first labels

Michael Buckley michael at buckleyisms.com
Sat Mar 12 01:37:34 CST 2016

        • What is your evaluation of the proposal?

+1. I am happy to see this proposal.

        • Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a
change to Swift?

Yes. In my experience, newcomers to Swift are often confused by parameter
labels in general, and first parameters in particular, and they often get
them wrong on their first few attempts.

        • Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

Yes, it fits well with Swift's API Design guidelines, especially "Clarity
is more important than brevity" and "Clarity at the point of use".

        • If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar
feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

I have not used any languages that handle parameter labels quite like Swift
does.

        • How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick
reading, or an in-depth study?

Quick read. I'm ashamed to admit that I missed the other threads discussing
this.