[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0046 Establish consistent label behavior across all parameters including first labels

Haravikk swift-evolution at haravikk.me
Fri Mar 11 13:46:55 CST 2016

> On 11 Mar 2016, at 18:01, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> 	• What is your evaluation of the proposal?

I’m in favour of it; while I will most likely disable external parameter names for many of my methods that I feel are self explanatory, I think it’s better to consciously make that decision vs it being the default for first parameters.

> 	• Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

It’s not a major issue; people are free to set external labels if they wish, but it’s an inconsistency that could do with being removed (IMO).

> 	• Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

Yes; it encourages consistency, and encourages a little thought before disabling all external parameter names on all parameters, rather than making the first a special case. It’s also easier to type underscore when you’re happy not to have a label, vs duplicating the name or coming up with another one to enable it.

> 	• If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

The bulk of my experience is with Java, Javascript and PHP where there are no parameter labels, and I hate that that was the case. Generally in Swift I like to have them except for very simple methods (or obvious first parameters) as well as tuple-like structs.

> 	• How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

I’ve been following the discussion around this issue; quickly skimmed the proposal, but it seems pretty simple.