[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0046 Establish consistent label behavior across all parameters including first labels

Charles Constant charles at charlesism.com
Fri Mar 11 12:27:40 CST 2016

> What is your evaluation of the proposal?

+1.

I'm delighted.

> Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to
Swift?

Absolutely. My experience with inconsistent argument labels, has not been
positive. It adds a pinch of uncertainty whenever I'm declaring functions,
and wastes time when I'm copying and pasting between init methods and
functions.

> Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

Yes, very well. Swift is supposed to be powerful, but easy for beginners.
The change will be helpful for casual users, and students. Fewer rules to
remember :)

> If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how
do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

?

> How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading,
or an in-depth study?
A lot actually. I've been arguing for this change for a while now, so I'm
super happy to see an official proposal come through.

Very little effort, though I have followed related threads for weeks, and
there's no doubt in my mind I support the proposal.