[swift-evolution] [Manifesto] Completing Generics

Howard Lovatt howard.lovatt at gmail.com
Thu Mar 10 15:43:02 CST 2016

@T.J.,

Swift does not allow overloading on return type. You cannot write:

func f() -> Int

func f() -> String

This is different than Scala, which does allow the equivalent of the above,
and the type signatures above in Scala would be:

f():Int

f():String

respectively (note how type signatures retain their return type) and
therefore you could write:

let i: Int = f()

let s: String = f()

and the compiler would call the correct versions.

It is not that useful in Scala, more a by product of their type inference
(carried over from Haskell), and therefore I am not suggesting that it
should be added to Swift.

  -- Howard.