[swift-evolution] [META] Re: Mailman?

Adrian Kashivskyy adrian.kashivskyy at me.com
Wed Mar 9 04:34:09 CST 2016

I'm a very big supporter of moving the discussions to a Discourse forum installation. Here are my arguments:

Subscribing to interesting threads
In the mailing list, it is not possible to subscribe to a thread unless the mail client supports it. In a forum, you can subscribe to a thread and you may even turn on email notifications.
Muting uninteresting threads
Unless the mail client is supporting it (many don't) – it's not possible to mute a thread – all emails are equally important.
Searching
It is way easier to search an indexed forum like Discourse, than searching through 12k emails
Message formatting
We tend to include many code examples and formatted text in our messages. Some of us tend to create markdown files on the side and then paste the generated HTML into an email body. Discourse supports mix-and-match of Markdown, HTML and BBEdit.
Tags
In the mailing list, most of us tend to include [tags] in the mail subjects, but some folks forget or ignore them. Discourse allows to predefine tags for the threads which improves indexing and searching even more.
Pinned threads
Announcements of e.g. ongoing reviews may take a form of pinned threads so they are immediately visible to forum members.
The problem of replying to a thread with a changed subject
Sometimes users reply to threads but accidentally add a tag or a whitespace to the message subject. Most mail client interpret it as a new thread and such a reply may be lost in the wild. Replies to coherent forum threads are never lost, they're always in the right place.
Accessibility
Even if your mailing client allows all of the above features, sometimes it is needed to access the forums from a phone or on a university computer, where many functionalities are blocked. Although it is possible to access the webmail page in the browser, it is most often painful to navigate through archives (especially on icloud.com <http://icloud.com/> ¯\_(ツ)_/¯). When using Discourse, all above features are available everywhere.
Permanent links
To share a link to a Discourse discussion, you just copy it from the browser URL field. To share a link to a mailing list reply, you need to open the web archive, find the topic manually and then copy the URL from the browser field anyway.
Mentioning other users
In mailing list, this is achievable by including the target user in a recipients list. In forum, you just @mention someone, just like in GitHub issues.
Privacy
Some users don't want their private emails to be disclosed in a mailing list. In a forum like Discourse, you can choose whether your email is displayed publicly or not.

I can actually go on and on with my points, but I very much hope that the above list is sufficient to start a serious discussion about migrating to a forum, like Discourse.

Regards,
Adrian Kashivskyy