[swift-evolution] Remove Failable Initializers

Shawn Erickson shawnce at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 16:11:05 CST 2016

On Tue, Mar 8, 2016 at 1:19 PM Haravikk via swift-evolution <
swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> On 8 Mar 2016, at 15:26, Thorsten Seitz <tseitz42 at icloud.com> wrote:
>
> Am 08.03.2016 um 11:07 schrieb Haravikk via swift-evolution <
> swift-evolution at swift.org>:
>
> Just because someone opts to use error handling over a failable
> initialiser doesn’t mean they have to go overboard on the detail of their
> errors; it’s entirely possible to pick a reasonable middle-ground.
>

> And it is entitely possible to just use an optional. If you prefer to use
> error handling over failable initializers, fine, just do so, but don't
> force it on others who are perfectly happy with the option to use
> optionals, too.
>

> It’s not an issue of ideology but of redundancy; the failable initialiser
> does nothing that error handling can’t do just as easily, the only
> difference is that instead of returning nil, you throw an appropriate error.
>
> The few extra characters are hardly going to kill you, while a thrown
> error (with common ones available for simplicity) can describe what went
> wrong in more detail than just “something went wrong”. Point is that we
> have two ways of achieving the same goal, but error handling encourages
> developers to think more about what type(s) of error to throw at each
> point; even just simple error types with no further detail can provide more
> information simply by being different, for example if you have a
> NonNumericError vs EmptyStringError types, the errors themselves tell you
> all you’re likely to need to know (hopefully there’d be a good set of
> common types).
>
> There are also some cases where failable initialisers can have subtle
> errors, for example, can you tell me where I might run into problems with
> the following:
>
> struct MyType {
>     let elements:[String]
>
>     func asInt(index:Array<String>.Index) -> Int? {
>         if self.elements.indices.contains(index) {
>             return Int(self.elements[index])
>         }
>         return nil
>     }
> }

I assume you mean to imply the following...?

let foo = MyType(elements: ["1", "2", "bogus", "4"])
for i in 0..<5 {
  if let value = foo.asInt(i) {
    print( "Value[\(i)] = \(value)" )
  }
  else {
    print( "Value[\(i)] = <no value>" )

Value[0] = 1
Value[1] = 2
Value[2] = <no value>
Value[3] = 4
Value[4] = <no value>

When I see asInt(index) -> Int? I personally would only care about getting
an Int back if possible for the given index then going on my merry way. If
I was confused by something I would debug the problem. I likely wouldn't
attempt to put any code in place to pick apart how it could have failed. If
anything I would put in preconditions.

If this API threw exceptions instead I would do that exact same thing.