[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0039 Modernizing Playground Literals

Kevin Lundberg kevin at klundberg.com
Mon Mar 7 20:14:58 CST 2016

> • What is your evaluation of the proposal?
+1, I like it.

> • Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a
> change to Swift?
Though this change only applies to playgrounds, the current syntax is
definitely odd, and doesn't match anything else in the language. For
beginners to swift who may be using playgrounds extensively, seeing the
current syntax behind the scenes might lead them to be confused by how
dissimilar it is to anything else. If parsing of these literals in
playgrounds can be made simpler and faster by this change, then that is
another positive outcome.

> • Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?
I believe so. Using the increasingly common # syntax in a unified way
helps simplify things.

> • If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar
> feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?
I've used racket in the past which has support for dragging images
inline in the repl/code editor, but I haven't looked into how that is
represented as text. I can't imagine it uses anything comparably
unconventional like the existing swift syntax though.

> • How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick
> reading, or an in-depth study?
A quick read through of the proposal and some reading of the preceding
email thread.