[swift-evolution] [Discussion] Adopting a new common error type outside the bounds of NSError

Brent Royal-Gordon brent at architechies.com
Sun Mar 6 21:47:15 CST 2016

> I was suggesting something that was a standard fallback
> error completely separate from any other modification to the error mechanism, just because it's extremely useful
> to have something to throw without having to design a full error system for things like command-line utilities, etc.
> In otherwords, a pre-constructed vanilla handy-error, ready for use that would have zero impact on any other error
> system, implementation, or mechanism.

Ah.

If that's what you have in mind, I would give it a name like SimpleError, GenericError, or UnspecifiedError, and I would not have it carry any state other than an error message (if we introduce some standard mechanism to convey an error message, like using CustomStringConvertible). I think that, at the point where you need to pack a generic error full of random information or figure out where in the source code it came from, you probably need to start explicitly modeling the errors your code can generate.

--
Brent Royal-Gordon
Architechies