[swift-evolution] Remove Failable Initializers

Félix Cloutier felixcca at yahoo.ca
Fri Mar 4 17:07:29 CST 2016

Saying that the optimizer will *probably* make it okay is a very poor justification for replacing a fast feature with a slow one.

I would like to remind that this proposal amounts to you going into my code, and everyone else's code, and break it.

You would certainly not like me to go into your code and break it, unless I had an excellent reason to do it.

However, so far, I don't see any technical merit to it. It's not faster, it's not shorter, it's not better error handling. And even if you think that you can say that it's not worse, you so far have stopped short of showing that it's better. Can it be faster? Don't think so. Can it be shorter? Don't think so.

This is mostly just enforcing a programming style you believe in to the whole Swift community, without regards to whether the rest agrees with it.

Félix