[swift-evolution] [swift-evolution-announce] [Review] SE-0025 Scoped Access Level

Jim Kubicek jkubicek at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 11:06:35 CST 2016

> What is your evaluation of the proposal?
+1

This proposal addresses a pain point I encounter daily. Currently there is no (good) way to limit extension methods to use only within the containing extension. I think the added clarity of a compiler-enforced access to “local” extension methods will be a solid win. In addition, it’s possible for code completion to no longer suggest the inaccessible methods.

> Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?
Yes, especially because this change can largely be ignored by developers new to Swift and only brought into play when needed.

> Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?
Certainly. “Local” feels like a natural extension of the existing access level keywords.

> How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?
Read the proposal and the commentary in this thread.