[swift-evolution] [RFC] New collections model: collections advance indices

plx plxswift at icloud.com
Thu Mar 3 11:56:12 CST 2016

# General Remarks: Great!

Thanks for sharing this proposal; it's a big change, but will be a big improvement once it's in place, and it's encouraging to see the team is willing to undertake changes of such scale.

I'm not sure how much discussion you'll actually manage to scare up b/c the issues this proposal addresses are *not* common, but are nevertheless rather significant when encountered.

E.G.: it's nice to be able to create simple chain/product/etc. collection-combinators which can, themselves, be collections, without winding up with indices indices forced to choose between *either* holding a back-reference to retrieve various startIndex/endIndex values as-needed *or* carrying around a complete set of all needed startIndex/endIndex values.

I don’t have any negative feedback that isn’t subsumed by the next section.

# Concern: Linearity Baked-In

Even with this change, I have some concern that the proposed protocol hierarchy from `Collection` onward feels like it has a foreseeable lack of generality due to how strongly "linear" the design wants `Collection` to be.

Is this the right time to raise such concerns (e.g. in-scope for this discussion)?

Other than that concern about generality I think this proposal looks great "on paper” and I hope to get a chance to experiment with it soon.