[swift-evolution] Remove Failable Initializers

James Campbell james at supmenow.com
Thu Mar 3 02:19:28 CST 2016

Just to iterate returning an optional as an error I still think is fine for normal functions.
But for the reasons I outlined above I think it's problematic for inits.
Of course two simpler ways towards solving it would to have a guide to explain best practice of when to use fallible init vs a throw.
Also all falliable inits perhaps should have ? In their name (and maybe functions who return one too) Or at least be allowed to give the function a name with ? In it.
In Ruby ? And ! Were nice explicit ways of saying this returns a Bool or this does something dangerous. Having this in swift or something like it would be a great way of making optional functions easier but I'm not sure how desirable this is.
Hence my original proposal is just limited to inits where unexpected errors are far more likely to occur than a function.
Sent from Supmenow.com

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 12:07 AM -0800, "Patrick Pijnappel via swift-evolution" <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

The error handdling model as described in https://github.com/apple/swift/blob/master/docs/ErrorHandlingRationale.rst#kinds-of-error is very sensible and consistently applied throughout the language.
Returning an optional is a simplified form of returning an error when there is only one straightforward way of failing. This is a very common case and is simpler than using an error, for which you need to: 1) call w/ try? 2) add 'throws' to the function 3) return some kind of error instance of some type