[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0040 Replacing Equal Signs with Colons For Attribute Arguments

William Dillon william at housedillon.com
Wed Mar 2 20:39:13 CST 2016

Another +1 for the same reasons.

On March 2, 2016 at 6:34:48 PM, Trent Nadeau via swift-evolution (swift-evolution at swift.org) wrote:

+1. I completely agree with Haravikk's response.

On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 6:42 PM, Haravikk via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> On 2 Mar 2016, at 22:46, Chris Lattner via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
>       • What is your evaluation of the proposal?

I’m in favour of this; it’s a simple change, but increases consistency between attributes and functions.

>       • Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

While I’d say it’s a fairly minor change, the benefit to consistency is solid for what should be a simple change.

>       • Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

Yes. Consistency and clarity are pretty important to Swift.

>       • If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

Strangely quite a few languages have unique syntax for attributes, but I don’t feel that it’s been a benefit in any of them, so I’d prefer them to match regular code more closely in Swift.

>       • How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

Quick re-reading, but it’s a self-explanatory feature.

Trent Nadeau