[swift-evolution] [Discussion]: Deprecate !-Unwrapping of Optionals

Simon Pilkington simonmpilkington at icloud.com
Wed Mar 2 00:12:19 CST 2016

I’m not sure it is a good idea to make the language syntax more verbose (and less convenient) in an attempt to suggest best practice. If nothing else force-unwrapping is useful in test code and making test code more verbose is definitely a negative.

As mentioned previously in this thread, I think it would be preferable to consider compiler options for warning/restricting its usage in production code - potentially even eventually moving to force-unwrapping being disabled for production code by default.

-Simon