[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0025 Scoped Access Level

Jeremy Pereira jeremy.j.pereira at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 1 04:41:24 CST 2016

	• What is your evaluation of the proposal?

+0.1 I can see the rationale but it’s not something I particularly miss and I probably wouldn’t use it.

I’m also not crazy about the keyword “local”. Ideally, “private” is the correct keyword for scoped access and “local” would be better for file scoped access, but I guess there is too much  prior art to change things now.

Has anybody given any thought to the mechanics? For example, would it be legal for instances of types to access private members of other instances of the same type?

	• Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

I don’t think so, but I don’t know how much effort would be involved in the implementation.

	• Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

I think it probably does.

	• If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

It’s a straight copy of the private modifier in Java, C++ and Objective-C (instance variables only).

	• How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

I read the proposal several times and have been following the thread.