[swift-evolution] [Idea] Allowing most keywords after "."

Chris Lattner clattner at apple.com
Mon Feb 29 23:40:09 CST 2016

> On Feb 29, 2016, at 4:20 AM, Brent Royal-Gordon <brent at architechies.com> wrote:
>
>> Besides that, we’ve talked about default before: https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/commonly_proposed.md
>
> Chris, my understanding is that the commonly proposed list is not a ban on certain topics, but merely a statement that those topics have been considered before and anyone reintroducing the topic should be certain they have something new to say.

Yep, absolutely.

> Surely "This other change we're implementing makes this syntactically ambiguous" would qualify?

Yes it does.  The problem is (and Doug’s email didn’t make this clear enough…) that default isn’t the only problem here.  There are several different keywords that cause conflicts.

In any case, I’m sorry if my response was overly strong and negative.  I didn’t intend to curtail a positive discussion!

-Chris