[swift-evolution] [Draft] Mixins: What present problems do they solve?

Jeremy W. Sherman jeremyw.sherman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 22:55:33 CST 2016

Before further work on the details of the design, I urge you to focus on the problem to be solved by the proposed changes. I felt strongly that the abstract classes proposal also foundered on this crucial point (https://jeremywsherman.com/blog/2016/02/29/review-se-0026-abstract-classes-and-methods/).

Currently the primary motivation is "fixing drawbacks of abstract classes". But Swift does not have abstract classes (yet - review is pending), so it does not have any of their drawbacks. This leaves a motivation vacuum.

Mixins have a long (and confused - the early Lisp implementations appear to have been misunderstood, see http://www.dreamsongs.com/Files/Incommensurability.pdf) history. There are plenty of languages now that include them or variations on them. The current proposal does not take advantage of this rich living resource to feature problems solved (and new problems created) by mixins, nor does it situate the design relative to prior art / related literature (choose the more significant term depending on your exposure to either IP law or conference proceedings ;).

When it comes of Lisp mixins (flavors), their runtime behavior was more like the advice features of aspect-oriented programming systems, with code executing before, after, or around a primary method. (The actual way mixin functionality was composed with a primary method was programmer controllable, and CLOS provided several standard combinations out of the box.)

The high-level gist is that mixins sought to provide declarative composition of behavior - "it's this, with a hint of this, and some of that tossed in to spice up the basic behavior" - vs the procedural composition afforded by inheritance - "and now super.doSomething, just like any other procedure call". willSet/didSet bear some resemblance to before/after mixins, but are currently rather limited in applicability.

What could we accomplish with before advice on viewDidLoad? Would this solve any thorny problems we have now? Might adding aspect oriented programming features to protocols avoid the sticky issue of stored properties while neatly solving real problems?

I don't know the answers, but feel a convincing proposal will speak to how it will solve problems, while a truly wondrous proposal will relieve me of burthens I didn't even know I had been shouldering all this time.
--
Jeremy W. Sherman
http://jeremywsherman.com/