[swift-evolution] [Discussion]: Deprecate !-Unwrapping of Optionals

Developer devteam.codafi at gmail.com
Mon Feb 29 08:54:38 CST 2016

I have to clarify here: I am not taking about .!, as!, as?, ?, etc.  I am taking about making naked bang-unwrapping more difficult.  That is, those cases when you write

let thing = optVal!

These are equivalent to naked unguarded dereferences in C-like languages and are, we can all agree, a code smell, not a feature.  One would not ever recommend to a user of such languages that * or -> be used before checking that an object or region of memory was non-NULL.  So, too, should we discourage this case by removing postfix-! from the language itself (notice it isn't even an operator, it is actually a part of the language).

~Robert Widmann