[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0025 Scoped Access Level

David Hart david at hartbit.com
Sun Feb 28 12:50:28 CST 2016

What is your evaluation of the proposal?

-1

I admit I was surprised by the semantics of private in Swift when I first discovered it, because I was used to private in other languages corresponding to Scoped Access Level. But I’ve not been overly bothered by it, and I’ve always kept a fairly strict one class per file anyway. I also don’t like that the proposal adds another keyword/layer of scoping. If people really wanted Scoped Access Level, I would have suggested modifying the meaning of private to correspond to Scoped Access Level and not add another keyword like this proposal.

Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

I’d say no.

Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

I don’t find it worthwhile enough to warrant adding another scoping level and confusing newcomers.

If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

Yes, all the other languages I have used have had Scoped Access Level, but I don’t mind Swift’s current file access level.

How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

A thorough read.