[swift-evolution] [Idea] Improved bridging of NSNumber and NSValue types

Kevin Lundberg kevin at klundberg.com
Sat Feb 27 17:32:36 CST 2016

I was just discussing your first suggestion with a friend the other day. It’d be nice to see that happen so that more apis would be available to obj-c. I wonder how the following would be treated though?

swift:
class Foo: NSObject {
    class func printNumber(num: Int16?) {
        print(num)

objc:
[Foo printNumber:[NSNumber numberWithInt:70000]];

Since NSNumber has no restrictions on what it can contain, it’s possible that one could pass a value that is outside the bounds of the type accepted by swift, which would likely crash your code.

If NSNumber were to bridge with optional scalars like this, the wrapped type for NSNumber would need to be present in the type signature of the obj-c code somehow so that the compiler could at the very least warn you. This could perhaps be done via obj-c lightweight generics (or per-scalar-type subclasses of NSNumber for each supported wrapped type, but that’s a bit odd).

You mention [Int] is bridged to NSArray<NSNumber *> * in objc, but [Int16] is not in my tests (probably for the reason I stated above). In my tests, [Bool], [Float], and [Double] also bridge today to that, so the same rules there could apply to optional versions.

--
Kevin Lundberg