[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0025 Scoped Access Level

Ilya Belenkiy ilya.belenkiy at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 10:20:52 CST 2016

Code organization of having most methods in extensions would not work for
extensions that need access to internal state marked with "scoped". For
this specific use case, one class per file + "private" works perfectly.
This code organization makes sense for very large classes but not for
smaller and related classes.

That said, I think that even in this case, "scoped" would help with hiding
helper methods that are necessary to implement protocols but are useless in
other places in the same file.

I do think that the name "private" is an unfortunate choice because it
means something else in other mainstream languages, but the access level
that it provides is very useful and a much better alternative than "friend"
in C++. However, we still need "scoped" (private in C++) to declare and
enforce encapsulation at the scope (class or extension) level.