[swift-evolution] [Review] SE-0026 Abstract classes and methods

Антон Жилин antonyzhilin at gmail.com
Sat Feb 27 04:16:29 CST 2016

> What is your evaluation of the proposal?
When I saw the header, I immediately wanted to press "dislike".

> Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to
Swift?
I'm not 100% sure, but inclined to say "yes".

> Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?
No. Protocols, which have been greatly enhanced in Swift 2.0, already
replaced inheritance in many places.

> If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how
do you feel that this proposal compares to those?
I primarily associate Swift protocols with Java interfaces, which also got
`default` methods. Having "played" with Java in the last few years, I agree
that usage of interfaces leads to overall better code style than abstract
classes. I have also used Ruby (and Rails), where modules are actually
mixins. Their usage proved simple and straightforward.

> How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading,
or an in-depth study?
I have followed the discussion and have a position based mainly on
experience with other languages.