[swift-evolution] API Guidelines Update

Rudolf Adamkovič salutis at me.com
Thu Feb 25 11:05:44 CST 2016

Is there a reason we can’t use the type system to do the work for us? So, instead of:

A.trim(B)
A.trimming(B)

… we would have:

A.trim(B)
A.trim(B) -> A

In cases like “dropFirst” where the function returns something, we would use an “out” parameter:

A.dropFirst(B)
A.dropFirst(B, out: X)

In this case X is the dropped element.

So, this approach would require implementing “out” parameters (in addition to “inout” we have today).

I’m no expert and I’m probably missing something here. Is there additional ambiguity I’m not aware of?

R+