[swift-evolution] [Discussion] Enforcing Calling Super

plx plxswift at icloud.com
Tue Feb 23 08:18:02 CST 2016

> On Feb 22, 2016, at 6:51 PM, Kyle Sherman via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>
> Thank you everyone for the feedback. I think that suppressing the warnings generated by this is something that Swift doesn’t support at all right now. Therefore, I think that if/when the ability to suppress warnings is added, it will work for this as well. I don’t think this proposal needs to say anything about being able to suppress the warning, because it would be done at the call site anyway.
>
> @plx: Given the examples you provided and my thoughts above, I think in this case you would just see the warning and just need to ignore it, because you know that you are doing it correctly. I think that is probably best at this point. The real solution would be to really enforce that member variables are not mutated according to the start/end parameter, but I don’t think that is really necessary as the warning can be ignored in these cases.

I do understand your point, but at the same time I wouldn’t be able to really use this feature until either “local warning suppression” (as a general feature, e.g. a Swift form of `#pragma clang diagnostic push` and so on...) or call-site annotations (e.g. as could be used to say “this counts as super(begin)”).

This is a policy issue (e.g. a policy of “all checked-in code must compile w/out warnings”) and not really a language issue specific to this feature, but it’d still a blocker in (for me) in terms of actually making use of such annotations.

One thing I want to make explicit is that even if it’s just @requireSuper w/out the positional features, the closure example is problematic:

// assume @requireSuper has been added
override func layoutSubviews() {
  self.performMeasuredAction(“layout”) {
    super.layoutSubviews()
    self.layoutLocalSubviews()

…does `performMeasuredAction` actually call that closure?

How would the compiler know?

Anyways I think even the most basic version of a feature like this is a win, but practically-speaking it’s a win I may not be able to use in general w/out a corresponding feature to annotate call sites (or locally suppress warnings, etc.).