[swift-evolution] About the PermutationGenerator

Dave Abrahams dabrahams at apple.com
Mon Feb 22 09:02:32 CST 2016

on Wed Jan 06 2016, Jordan Rose <jordan_rose-AT-apple.com> wrote:

> I've bounced this idea off of Dave and Dmitri internally, so might as well put it out publicly:
>
> In Magic DWIM Swift, there would only be two types that you'd ever
> conform to:

You don't really mean that :-)

> a destructive iteration type (today's "Generator"), and a multi-pass
> indexed type (today's "Collection"). Some operations can meaningfully
> use either one (like forEach or maxElement); these operations go on a
> general "traversable" type (today's "Sequence").
>
> In this world, both GeneratorType and CollectionType are refinements
> of SequenceType (i.e. any GeneratorType "is-a" SequenceType),
> including the necessary default implementations. Maybe we rename some
> of the protocols in the process.  Again, no concrete type would ever
> conform to SequenceType; it's just something you can use as a generic
> constraint.

If GeneratorType and CollectionType conform to SequenceType, then lots
of concrete types will conform.  I think you just mean that none will
conform to SequenceType without also conforming to one of the others.

> We can't actually do this today because it creates a circularity
> between SequenceType and GeneratorType that the compiler can't
> handle. I'm pretty sure it's possible to change the compiler's
> protocol checking logic to allow this, though.

Yes; the main obstacle is that our codegen model doesn't support it.  It
has something to do with the way witness tables get passed to generic
functions.

--
-Dave