[swift-evolution] Anoymous Enums (Updated)

David Waite david at alkaline-solutions.com
Mon Feb 22 11:12:17 CST 2016

Having this work similar to other anonymous types would be an extension to the proposal.

Other anonymous types can be considered equivalent by their definitions, e.g. (x:Int, y:Int) taken as input from one function can be passed to another.

E.g. your adjustTemperature function wanted to call a checkSafety(device:DeviceType, [low | medium | high]:temperature) -> Bool function - could it?

what about if adjustTemperature took [low | medium | high | extreme]?

what about adjustTemperature having an internal var lastAdjustment:[low | medium | high] - would that work?

My concern is that there could many reasons to need to switch from shorthand/anonymous syntax to a full enum, and that switch will have the same fragility as changing a function from accepting a tuple to accepting a struct. If passing to another function or assigning to a variable would require a switch to a properly qualified enum, the feature seems not worth its character savings.

And I’m already unsure it is worth its existing character savings, especially once you start documenting the meaning of low / medium / high for other developers, and especially if you now have to do so for multiple functions rather than a single enum declaration.

-DW