[swift-evolution] [swift-build-dev] SwiftPM Xcode Integration

Dan Appel dan.appel00 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 13:47:42 CST 2016

Hi,

What kind of target will be made in the Xcode project? Specifically, will
it be a static library or a framework? In my experience, frameworks play
better with sourcekit and generally require less configuration in Xcode.

The folks behind Zewo made a tool to help us manage our large dependency
graph that generates complete xcode projects with subprojects and targets
(it also does a few other things, but those aren't important). As a side
effect it also supports modulemaps with no extra configuration. It
generates frameworks (not static libraries) for the reasons described
earlier, but I'm sure it would be trivial to change it to work the other
way.

The tool can be found here: https://github.com/zewo/zewo-dev. Unfortunately
it had to be made in ruby because of the xcodeproj gem but I believe it
could still be a useful reference.

Dan
On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 11:21 AM Max Howell via swift-build-dev <
swift-build-dev at swift.org> wrote:

> > For Xcode builds, if I install a C dependency via Homebrew, then include
> it with a module map, will it be copied into the application bundle when
> archiving—say, for the App Store?
>
> We don’t initially intend to support module map packages with this
> integration.
>
> Not that we never will, but this part of the integration is not yet
> designed. We’ll revisit this question once the first iteration is complete.

Dan Appel