[swift-evolution] API Guidelines Update

Craig Cruden ccruden at novafore.com
Fri Feb 19 19:20:46 CST 2016

Neither really feel right - I am not against long names, but sometimes people have long names because
they are unfocused and the API to a class/type has too many unfocused methods on it.
Then it gets applied to other classes/types with less methods since it is more consistent with the naming
of the class/types that they have already completed.

Whereas “ing”/“ed” is against all the naming conventions (closer to opposite of what was acceptable) of
any development environment I have worked in the last 30 years.  It is not that I don’t accept and embrace
change — if that were the case I would not be constantly learning.

“ing” (the worst of the two) to me infers that something is in progress… i.e. “process”.isRunning or “process”.running.

“ed” (least worst) to me infers that you are querying the state of something “process”.completed.

Both mutable and immutable execute and complete and results are either returned or applied.

I have generally (maybe always) kept things that “mutate” separate from things that don’t (unless I am working in a
system where immutable vs mutable never entered the mind of the developer).  It feels more focused.  In most cases
it is fairly easy to do, and cleaner.  I don’t know if there is some performance reason why the mixing of the
two (across the whole API) is more advantageous.  But even in that case it will constantly be nagging me, and
giving me the feeling that something went horribly wrong and it is something that needs to be looked at to
see if it needs to be refactored and simplified.

So for me it is not just that it is grammatically awkward, it will constantly be giving me a feeling that something went
horribly wrong and that it needs to be looked at again to see if it could have been done in a more simplified
and focused way.