[swift-evolution] Review: Import Objective-C Constants as Swift Types

Evan Maloney emaloney at gilt.com
Fri Feb 19 13:34:25 CST 2016

> 	• What is your evaluation of the proposal?

+1

This is an elegant solution to representing Objective-C APIs meaningfully in Swift.

With this feature, Swift source code looks more beautiful.

> 	• Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

Yes. Compiler-enforced type-safety is one of Swift's core benefits. Bugs that otherwise wouldn't be discovered until runtime are instead be caught up-front during the build. This will save lots of developers countless hours of debugging frustration!

> 	• Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

Yes, for the reasons above.

> 	• How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

A careful reading. No further study was required; I am already intimately familiar with this pain-point in Objective-C.