[swift-evolution] Custom equality/hash for Sets

Andrew Bennett cacoyi at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 08:47:07 CST 2016

Hi Maximillian,

On Friday, 19 February 2016, Maximilian Hünenberger <m.huenenberger at me.com>
wrote:

> Discussions on different index handling should belong to another thread if
> there isn't one already.

I mentioned indices only to provide context :) the linked document (Swift
master) discusses an approach that fixes many of the issues with a custom
wrapper approaches mentioned here.

> Your proposed Set change covers at least the custom Hashable behavior.
> What about Equatable? I think it could be expressed as behaviors.

Custom Equatable could also be implemented as a similar closure
(Element,Element)->Bool. I left it off, but I probably shouldn't have. My
main goal was to minimise changes to the existing interfaces and provide
similar performance.

I wonder if there's any cases someone would want anything other
than Equatable or pointer comparison.

As for your behaviour suggestion: I may be misinterpreting how it works. I
like the idea, but it seems like a much larger change than is necessary. It
may change all the type signatures in normal usage, and obsfucate the
Element type.

Ideally the sets type would only show the element type, not implementation
details like a custom hash algorithm.

If you're happy to change the Set's type signature for each hash/equality
algorithm then a wrapper like Nicola suggests is probably good enough.

Even easier if you're happy to manually wrap and unwrap:

class HashableReference<T: AnyObject>: Hashable {
    let object: T
    var hashValue: Int {
        return ObjectIdentifier(object).hashValue
func ==<T: AnyObject>(lhs: HashableReference<T>, rhs: HashableReference<T>)
-> Bool {
    return ObjectIdentifier(lhs) == ObjectIdentifier(rhs)
}

Apologies for any errors, this was done from my iPhone from memory.