[swift-evolution] Review: Import Objective-C Constants as Swift Types

Curt Clifton curt at curtclifton.net
Thu Feb 18 22:24:34 CST 2016

  Proposal link:
    https://github.com/apple/swift-evolution/blob/master/proposals/0033-import-objc-constants.md

	• What is your evaluation of the proposal?

+1

This proposal is an improvement for both Objective-C and Swift/ObjC interop.

	• Is the problem being addressed significant enough to warrant a change to Swift?

Yes. The existing stringly-typed constants are a significant pain point, both from a readability standpoint and as a source of errors.

	• Does this proposal fit well with the feel and direction of Swift?

Yes. Très Swifty.

	• If you have used other languages or libraries with a similar feature, how do you feel that this proposal compares to those?

I’ve used the typedef trick extensively in Objective-C, particularly when refactoring stringly-typed code to strong types.

	• How much effort did you put into your review? A glance, a quick reading, or an in-depth study?

I skimmed a bit of the original discussion. I read the proposal in detail.

Cheers,

Curt
Curt Clifton, PhD
Software Engineer