[swift-evolution] API Guidelines Update

Dave Abrahams dabrahams at apple.com
Thu Feb 18 13:42:38 CST 2016

on Thu Feb 18 2016, Charles Kissinger <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:

> Dave,
>
> At one point there was discussion of special handling of prepositional
> phrases containing “of”, with the “of” being placed before the
> parenthesis rather than in the argument label. Was that left out of
> the guidelines deliberately or inadvertently (or did I miss it)?

Deliberately.  We prepared a diff that made this change
(https://github.com/apple/swift-3-api-guidelines-review/commit/36662d0fb98499811f58f73deeef80b36e2156a8),
but on review it we found that while it made some things “feel nicer,” it
never added actual clarity, so we could find no justification for
complicating the guidelines to make “of” a special case.

> —CK
>
>> On Feb 16, 2016, at 6:31 PM, Dave Abrahams via swift-evolution <swift-evolution at swift.org> wrote:
>>

>> I've updated the API guidelines document to account for the review
>> feedback and other issues.  Please see
>> http://apple.github.io/swift-internals/api-design-guidelines/
>> (presentation view)
>> and